What do you need for the new hire onboarding checklist?
Here are just some of the things that you might want to keep in mind, while creating an effective and efficient process for new employee onboarding:
- Rather than loading them with paperwork to be signed on the very first day, email it all to them, so that they can read everything through at leisure and have them ready and signed on the they arrive.
- If you offer a range of benefits, allow your employees to choose them themselves and ensure that you give them all the details that they might need for making the right choice.
- Create a basic onboarding manual that gives new employees an idea of what to expect is also a good idea. You can add a friendly note welcoming them, you can add details about what all will happen on the first day, what to expect in the first week and so on. You can also add some photos of the office and team members, so that the first time they walk in, things seem slightly familiar. A copy of the handbook as well as other details such as key responsibility areas and departmental information can also be emailed well in advance.
- Your HR team will have a large role to play in the onboarding process, which is why you could give the new employees advance access to them. The HR can guide them through details such as what all paperwork they will have to submit, particularly tax related forms and medical forms etc. The employees, in turn, will be able to ask questions such where they have to go on their first day, who will be their point of contact, whether they have to follow any dress code, whether there is a canteen and so on.
- Make sure that the new employee’s work station or desk is all set up, before they walk in, because the new hire will certainly not swoon at the idea of having to wait half a day for his or her work area to be made ready.
We found a few documents used by MIT. They are a great resource for any company or team trying to onboard a new hire. You can modify them as you see fit. So what are you waiting for?
Download the New Hire Onboarding Checklist today